Loose waves summon up images of carefree days spent on the beach so whilst we eke out the last few days of summer, now’s the ideal time to perfect the look. Here’s a few foolproof ways to achieve perfect loose curls:
If you are lucky enough to already have wavy hair achieving extra curls is fairly straightforward:
- Wet your hair and gently towel dry it.
- Apply your preferred mousse or gel to damp hair to achieve the hold.
- Tip your head upside down and using the diffusion attachment on your hairdryer gently dry the hair section by section.
- Flick hair back and spray with hairspray to hold in place.
- For this method you need completely dry hair. The curls will last longer if the hair is not squeaky clean so ideally style your hair the day after washing it.
- Using a large barrel curling tong select the appropriate heat setting for your hair texture.
- Before starting protect your hair by applying a heat protective spray or serum.
- Don’t open the curling iron but wrap your hair around the whole barrel. This will help you achieve loose, wavy curls rather than tight ones. Start at the roots and work down to the tips holding it for about 5 seconds each time. Repeat until all your hair has been treated.
- Using your fingers, gently comb your hair to relax the curls into waves.
- Gently tease the hair into place and fix it with hairspray.
Braiding your hair is a great way to achieve perfect curls and is ideal for straight or slightly wavy hair.
- Wet your hair and apply your preferred styling product to ensure it holds its shape once dry.
- Part your hair into sections and then simply braid each section; for all-over curls do French braids (all the way up to the hair line) or if you just wish the ends to be curly then do regular braids. Secure them with hairbands.
- Go to sleep!
- In the morning gently undo the braids and using your fingers tease the curls into waves. Fix with hairspray.
If you are feeling adventurous you can achieve curls by braiding and then add an additional stunning braid as a feature as this model has done. The options are endless; enjoy experimenting!
Photo credits: www.pininterest.com